Welcome to the WOGSA for 2023. Sorry for the delay getting these annual notes sent out to our membership, but just like last year the Association is experiencing great difficulty in lining up venues for events. Our schedule is a bit of a work in progress, but time is of the essence as our first meeting is right around the corner so I thought it best to get these notes out now and fill in the blanks as the season moves on.
This past December the WOGSA Board of Directors held our annual meeting to discuss the state and direction of our Association. The hard working Board of Directors consists of Trevor Hunter, Angelo Capannelli, Gavin Kellogg, James Raynor, Dan Sliasas, and Chris Nelson. The WOGSA mandate is to keep our meetings relaxed, fun to attend, and most importantly affordable for all our members. This continues to be challenging in today’s times with the cost of almost everything rising, and venues becoming very difficult to come by. We as a group are feeling a bit more of a pinch, but we are as determined as ever to try and give our members the best value for their money.
Areas we will continue to focus on moving forward include:
- The annual WOGSA membership fee will be waived for the year, we will price our meetings fairly to cover all costs, and put a few dollars towards the Association.
- The square deposit method for accepting credit card payments will be available at all events.
- At most events, we will award closest to the pins and several cash draw prizes or a skins game (a $5.00 draw prize or skins entry fee will be included in the cost of the day) Any donated prizes or leftover cash from the event will be awarded by draw prizes.
- We will continue to contribute scholarship awards to several key industry institutions.
- Our primary goal as always is to run affordable, relaxed and informative golf events for our Members and Guests to gather, network, and hopefully learn a bit in the process.
Let me take a moment to thank our generous event hosts in 2022 which included Mike Claydon at Savannah Golf Links, Dan Lavis at Tarandowah Golfers Club, Ryan Scott at Oakville Golf Club, and yours truly at Grand Niagara Golf Club, your commitment and support of the WOGSA is greatly appreciated.
The WOGSA lineup for 2023:
- Monday June 5th – Deerfield Golf Club – host Ian McIsaac
- Thursday July 26th – Craigowan Golf Club – host Jerry Richard
- Monday August 28th – Sawmill Golf Club - host Jeremy Julie
- Monday October 2nd – Park Country Club – host Scott Dodson
Lastly our one important reminder, PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR REGISTRATION FOR AN EVENT, IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL, PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL TO CONFIRM. In these busy times it is extremely important to our host clubs and to the Association to have accurate numbers for our events. Clubs charge the Association for the numbers given at registration so if you sign up and don’t show up, the Association is still on the hook for your fee for the day. It is getting increasingly harder to get onto courses so the easier we can make it for our hosts, the better. If you need to update your contact info please do so and return it to us so we have all your current information. As always if you know of someone who may be a potential member, please forward our info to them. We look forward to seeing you at a WOGSA event this year.
For the WOGSA,
John Taylor - President
2023 October Event
Monday October 2nd, 2023
Park Country Club
4949 Sheridan Drive
Williamsville, New York
Host: Scott Dodson
Go to www.gcsaofny.org to register, payment must be made by credit card.
Please indicate that you are with the WOGSA on the registration.
Cost: $120.00 USD
Includes golf, cart, box lunch, dinner.
- SHOTGUN START 11:00 AM.
- This is a joint event with the Golf Course Superintendents Association of New York
- Registration is limited to 60 Canadians so register early!.
- Suppliers please note - tee sponsorships are available.
The Western Ontario Golf Superintendents Association would like the thank the following corporate sponsors:
If you would like to receive information from the WOGSA send an email to email@example.com.
Please include you name, golf course/company, address, and preferred email address so we can add you to our mailing list.